The Magenta Foundation gratefully acknowledges the support of TD Bank Group for their ongoing commitment to Flash Forward and to emerging artists.
Flash Forward Emerging Photographer Project Grant: $10,000. See details below.
A selection of photos will be exhibited as part of the Flash Forward Group Show in Toronto (Fall 2017).
A selected Flash Forward artist will have their work exhibited during Capture Photo Festival (May 2017).
Win Cash Prizes
The Bright Spark Winner will be awarded a $8000 cash prize. The runner up will be awarded a $2000 cash prize.
Flash Forward Winners and Honourable Mentions will have their work published in a beautifully printed catalogue.
- This is an open call for submissions. Submission deadline extended until January 12, 2017.
- Open to all photographers working in Canada, the UK and the US.
- Applicants must be 34 years-of-age or under as of December 31, 2016.
- Please review all submission guidelines and upload instructions before you submit your work.
Please see our FAQ page for detailed submission guidelines.
$20,000 in Cash Prizes
The 1st place cash prize of $8,000 will be awarded to the 2017 Bright Spark, an emerging photographer whose submitted body of work is identified by the jury as being extraordinarily accomplished.
The 2nd place winner will receive a $2000 cash prize.
In addition one photographer will receive the $10,000 Flash Forward Emerging Photographer Project Grant.
The Magenta Foundation would like to extend their gratitude to TD Bank Group for jumping into 2017 with us and helping us create another exciting opportunity for emerging photographers.
Flash Forward Emerging Photographer Project Grant: $10,000
In the continuance of Flash Forward and its proactive leadership on artist encouragement and support, this grant will enable all photographers, in all mediums, to fulfill the goal of a larger scale of project. This monetary grant is for ALL photographers who need the essential seed money to work on long-term projects in progress.
- Money goes toward projects that are in progress and not completed.
- Funds are to assist photographers and help them fulfill their vision.
- All types of photography are welcome, including documentary, photojournalism, fine art, digital mixed-media, etc.
- Also included in prizing is a chapter in the next Flash Forward publication. The selected winner of this grant and the work in progress will be highlighted.
How It Works
All photographers who submit to Flash Forward will be considered.
Five semi finalists will be contacted and asked questions about their work, after which a winner will be chosen.
The Flash Forward publication will have a chapter set aside for the selected project.
- The Flash Forward group show, made up of a selection of photographs from the accompanying annual catalogue, in Toronto Fall 2017.
- Selected artists get chosen to show their portfolio in Magenta Magazine.
- All artists that are part of the Flash Forward selected winners will get loads of promotion through all our social media outlets and platforms.
- All submitted work is seen by leaders in our industry in every profession.
- Genevieve Fussell Senior Photo Editor, The New Yorker
- Amy K Pereira Director of Photography, MSNBC
- Kerri MacDonald Social Photo Editor, The New York Times
- David Rosenberg Slate/Behold
- Timothy Archibald Photographer
UK & International Jurors
- Dan Gaba Photo Editor, The Wall Street Journal, London
- Matthew Beaman Photography Director, Monocle Magazine
- Lisa Rovner Storyteller
- Julie Thymann Production Head of Art, Mother
- Andy Greenacre Picture Editor, Telegraph Magazine
- Laura Noble Director, L A Noble Gallery
- Azu Nwagbogu Director, Lagos Photo Festival and African Artists Foundation
- Lucy Conticello Photography Director, M, Le magazine du Monde
- Emilia van Lynden Head of Artistic Affairs, Unseen Photo Fair & Festival
- Erin Elder Manager, Business Development & Partnerships, The Globe and Mail
- Rachel Wine Visual Producer, The Globe and Mail
- Lori Morgan Photo Editor, Air Canada enRoute
- Devan Patel Director, Project Gallery
- Vanessa Runions Art Coordinator, TD Bank Group
- Meredith Preuss Director, Capture Photography Festival