The Magenta Foundation gratefully acknowledges the support of TD Bank Group for their ongoing commitment to Flash Forward and to emerging artists.
Flash Forward Emerging Photographer Project Grant: $10,000. See details below.
Air Canada’s enRoute Magazine will commission one of the Flash Froward 2016 Winners for their magazine.
A selection of photos will be exhibited as part of the Flash Forward Group Show in Toronto (Fall 2016) and Boston (Spring 2017).
Win Cash Prizes
The Bright Spark Winner will be awarded a $8000 cash prize. The runner up will be awarded a $2000 cash prize.
Flash Forward Winners and Honourable Mentions will have their work published in a beautifully printed catalogue.
Winners will be announced in May
Flash Forward Emerging Photographer Project Grant: $10,000
In the continuance of Flash Forward and its proactive leadership on artist encouragement and support, this grant will enable all photographers, in all mediums, to fulfill the goal of a larger scale of project. This monetary grant is for ALL photographers who need the essential seed money to work on long-term projects in progress.
- Money goes toward projects that are in progress and not completed.
- Funds are to assist photographers and help them fulfill their vision.
- All types of photography are welcome, including documentary, photojournalism, fine art, digital mixed-media, etc.
- Also included in prizing is a chapter in the next Flash Forward publication. The selected winner of this grant and the work in progress will be highlighted.
How It Works
All photographers who submit to Flash Forward will be considered. Those who already submitted are also part of this award judging process.
Five semi finalists will be contacted and asked questions about their work, after which a winner will be chosen.
The competition catalogue will include a chapter dedicated to the selected project and its progress in the 2016 year and the following year.
The Magenta Foundation would like to extend their gratitude to TD Bank Group for jumping into 2016 with us and helping us create another exciting opportunity for emerging photographers.
$20,000 in Cash Prizes
The 1st place cash prize of $8,000 will be awarded to the 2016 Bright Spark, an emerging photographer whose submitted body of work is identified by the jury as being extraordinarily accomplished.
The 2nd place winner will receive a $2000 cash prize.
In addition one photographer will receive the $10,000 Flash Forward Emerging Photographer Project Grant.
Get featured in Air Canada enRoute Magazine
Air Canada enRoute Magazine will commission one of the Flash Forward winners for their magazine.
Not only will their work get featured in the magazine, additional images will be exhibited as a solo exhibition during the Flash Forward Festival in Boston.
This is NOT limited to 1st or 2nd place. This award is for any of the winners that are selected from the 2016 year from CA, UK or US.
- The Flash Forward group show, made up of a selection of photographs from the accompanying annual catalogue, will travel from Toronto Fall 2016 to Boston Spring 2017.
- As in the past, all 2016 Flash Forward Winners and Honourable Mentions will have their work published in the catalogue that chronicles the annual juried competition.
- Selected artists get chosen to show their portfolio in Magenta Magazine.
- All artists that are part of the Flash Forward selected winners will get loads of promotion through all our social media outlets and platforms.
- All submitted work is seen by leaders in our industry in every profession.
- Sara Knelman
Writer, curator and assistant professor,
School of Image Arts, Ryerson University
- Tony Fouhse
- Rachel Wine
Associate Photo Editor/Producer, enRoute Magazine
- Rafael Katigbak
Senior Editor/Producer, VICE
- Zara Katz
Photo editor and visual producer
- Julien Jourdes
Co-founder & COO Blink.la
- Sam Barzillay
Creative Director, United Photo Industries; Co-Founder, Photoville
- Greer Muldowney
Independent curator and artist
- Lucas Cowan
Public Art Curator, Rose F. Kennedy Greenway
- Genevieve Fussell
Senior Photo Editor, The New Yorker
- Sarah Sudhoff
Executive Director, Houston Center for Photography
- Michelle Bogre
Associate Professor of Photography, School of Art, Media and Technology, Parsons School of Design
- Stephen Frailey
Editor in Chief, Dear Dave Magazine
UK & International Jurors
- Gemma Padley
Freelance photography journalist, and projects editor, British Journal of Photography
- Renee Melides
Deputy Photo Editor, MONOCLE
- Matt Shonfeld
Executive Director, INSTITUTE
- Celia Davies