The Magenta Foundation would like to extend their gratitude to TD Bank Group for helping us create another exciting opportunity for emerging photographers.
About the competition
Established in 2004, Flash Forward is an annual competition that showcases the work being created by the very best emerging photographers from Canada, the UK and the US. Every year, judges from each of the participating countries review the submitted work and identify the young people that they believe show promise as professional fine art or documentary photographers.
- Open to all photographers working in Canada, the UK and the US.
- Photographers must be 34 years old or younger at the date of submission.
- Please review all submission guidelines and upload instructions before you submit your work.
Please see our FAQ page for detailed submission guidelines.
$20,000 in Cash Prizes
The 1st place cash prize of $8,000 will be awarded to the 2017 Bright Spark, an emerging photographer whose submitted body of work is identified by the jury as being extraordinarily accomplished.
The 2nd place winner will receive a $2000 cash prize.
In addition one photographer will receive the $10,000 Flash Forward Emerging Photographer Project Grant.
Flash Forward Emerging Photographer Project Grant
In the continuance of Flash Forward and its proactive leadership on artist encouragement and support, this grant will enable all photographers, in all mediums, to fulfill the goal of a larger scale of project. This monetary grant is for ALL photographers who need the essential seed money to work on long-term projects in progress.
- Money goes toward projects that are in progress and not completed.
- Funds are to assist photographers and help them fulfill their vision.
- All types of photography are welcome, including documentary, photojournalism, fine art, digital mixed-media, etc.
- Also included in prizing is a chapter in the next Flash Forward publication. The selected winner of this grant and the work in progress will be highlighted.
How It Works
All photographers who submit to Flash Forward will be considered. Those who already submitted are also part of this award judging process.
Five semi finalists will be contacted and asked questions about their work, after which a winner will be chosen.
The Magenta publication will have a chapter set aside for the selected project.
Get published in Air Canada enRoute Magazine
Air Canada enRoute Magazine will commission one of the Flash Forward winners for their magazine. Not only will their work get featured in the magazine, additional images will be exhibited as a solo exhibition during the Flash Forward Festival in Boston.
This is NOT limited to 1st or 2nd place. This award is for any of the winners that are selected from each year in CAD, UK or US.
- The Flash Forward group show, made up of a selection of photographs from the accompanying annual catalogue, in Toronto.
- As in the past, all Flash Forward Winners and Honourable Mentions will have their work published in the catalogue that chronicles the annual juried competition.
- Selected artists get chosen to show their portfolio in Magenta Magazine.
- All artists that are part of the Flash Forward selected winners will get loads of promotion through all our social media outlets and platforms.
- All submitted work is seen by leaders in our industry in every profession.